A professor friend asked me how many books I thought I had read so far in my life.
My mouth fell open.
Seriously?
Can the average reader say how many books they have read in their lifetime? Where would I start? Do I count the times I read drafts of books I've written? And what about all the books read to me (see previous blog about whether listening is reading☺)? That number must be in the hundreds of thousands. But to be perfectly honest, I...have...no...idea.
My mom kept a "books read" ledger in the last thirty or so years of her life. She had 3 of them filled that I knew of, and I'm blessed to say I have those. But I did not follow her lead, because as an ELA/Reading teacher and then a teacher educator, at times I may have read 20 books A WEEK (picture books, early chapter quick reads, and YA novels). Plus, there was always a read-for-pleasure on my couchside table or an ongoing audio book. Or both.
Do you know how many books YOU have read? I'd be curious to learn how many of my friends/colleagues can quantify. I should be more like teacher friend Susie Adams and post them on Facebook so I have a history keeper.
The bigger question that same professor friend went on to ask me: how many books did I think I had RE-READ?
Whoa...that one is MUCH easier. Now to be fair, I have re-read some picture books and easy readers hundreds of times in my teaching career...to my students and with my students. But I could make a pretty thorough list of them and guestimate how many (picture books from Seuss, Sendak, Carle, Willems, Polcanco, Bunting, and Viorst to novels by Green, Collins, Hinton, Reynolds, Thomas, Acevedo, Shusterman, Lowry, lockhart, Hesse, Stone, Picoult and so many more). Those short chapter books that every teacher either read aloud or pre-read so we would know what our students were reading. And longer books like The Hate You Give, All-American Boys, Allegedly, Dear Martin... so many books my students devoured, and I would sit with them and devour books again while they read to model what good readers do.
But how many books I have I re-read for pleasure?
I can measure these on my fingers and maybe need my toes. I may have forgotten a few, but some of the most memorable:
Truman Capote In Cold Blood
Louisa May Alcott Little Women
Daniel Keyes Flowers for Algernon
Stephen King The Stand (3 times)
Henry James Turn of the Screw
JD Salinger Catcher in the Rye (mostly because I didn't like it when forced to read it in high school, so I re-read it in college)
e. lockhart We Were Liars (if you have read it, you know why)
There are more, but not many. Once I have ingested a book, I am not very likely to ever read it again. I know how it ends. I recall the nuances I felt. I can't imagine reading something again when there are literally thousands I still want to read. Perhaps that will change when I'm old and retired and have little else to do (but won't I still write? That's what I prefer to do with free time).
So I'm asking, as Stephen King would note, Dear Reader, how often have you re-read books and what are YOUR most notable re-reads?
But most burning...what made you want to pick up that book you already know and read it again?
I'm asking for a friend.
No comments:
Post a Comment